Featured Disease: Chronic Streptococcal Pharyngitis
Streptococcal throat infections can cause serious complications in children necessitating frequent use of antibiotics. Our clinical experience has shown that using phage preparations for the treatment of chronic streptococcal pharyngitis is an effective treatment which reduces recurrence and antibiotic use.
Phage therapy in Pediatric practice:
Phage therapy in pediatrics has distinct advantages when compared to antibiotics therapy. Children are the most vulnerable to the repercussions of antibiotic resistant bacteria. A viable antibacterial alternative makes the concept of antibiotic stewardship more attainable for pediatricians.
The following diseases can be treated using phage therapy:
- Eye infections- bacterial conjunctivitis, blepharitis
- Upper and lower respiratory tract diseases:
- Otitis media, otitis externa
- Sinusitis, rhinitis, pharyngitis
- Laryngitis, tracheitis, chronic bacterial bronchitis, bronchiectaisis, cystic fibrosis associated infections and others.
- Gastrointestinal diseases:
- Bacterial gastroenteritis, irritable bowel syndrome, functional disorders-diarrhea, constipation,
- Nosocomial infections
- Prophylactic use
- Antibiotic resistant infections:
- Antibiotic Intolerance (allergy)
- Experimental use of phage therapy in Autistic spectrum disorder and PANDAS